Monday, October 4, 2010

Farewell, Benson & Hedges Menthol 100’s

It will be a month tomorrow that I quit smoking, but I realize that saying goodbye to smoking is like getting out of a bad relationship. We know it’s a bad relationship because we feel the often unspoken disapproval of our loved ones; we see the gnarly anti-smoking commercials on TV. (One of my favorite anti-smoking commercials had smokers turn into skeletons, and then the skeletons would fall off of a conveyer belt and onto a veritable skeleton mountain.) All smokers know that smoking is bad, but what non-smokers don’t know is just how good smoking can be. Hence, even a bad relationship is hard to get over.

There are several kinds of cigarette moments one can have, but I’m just going to illustrate a few:

Smoking to Get Away from Non-Smokers: Since to be a “polite smoker” you have to excuse yourself from non-smokers, this provides a perfect avenue for slipping away to indulge in your vice simply to indulge in a few minutes away from an onerous dinner party, etc.

Smoking to Meet Other Smokers: If you see an interesting-looking smoker, it is quite easy to find a segue into a conversation with that individual. Just ask for a light.

Smoking Socially: Smoking is extremely ritualistic in nature, and quite often you develop a social pattern with another smoker. The classic case in my life is T. We used to share coffee and cigarettes on Saturday mornings at the homestead, and I can no longer be a part of that. Similarly, I have a close friend who used to indulge in my sinfulness with me, and now we no longer share that. It makes me sad.

Smoking PeacefullY: Having a quiet cigarette to yourself is probably the quintessential smoking habit. It is a way to get away, a way to get a moment, a way to calm down. Last night, in fact, I had insomnia, and when I can outside on the patio, I was struck by the lack of cigarette in my hand. I just had to appreciate the fresh air, emphasis on “fresh.” The feeling that there was something missing was fleeting, but I felt the pinch nonetheless.

Smoking as Medication: Smoking to relieve stress is a classic reason people don’t quit. Smoking can be an antidote for anxiety, nervousness, boredom, any number of ills. Now I have to find new medicine, hopefully new medicine that isn’t food. I’ve taken up exercise.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m proud of myself for quitting. But I know that every so often I’m going to feel a pang or a twinge. And I’m going to miss that occasional smoke with my friend on the roof of the El Cortez, or miss that cigarette with a glass of the best red wine in the world on my friend’s lush patio. These are moments that can’t be substituted for anything else.

They say that a person with mental illness lives ten years less than someone without. One of the main contributors is cigarettes.

I would like to be one of the people who changes that particular statistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment